Our top tips for choosing the best bike repair stand
Because, after all, we’re presuming (going out on a limb here 🙂 ) you’re after a repair stand that will do an outstanding job and yet prove amazing value for money, correct?
We have reviewed most of the leading models on the market today (see some of our reviews here), so have come across many factors that we often take into consideration when looking at what to buy / test.
To help YOU out when you’re choosing a bike repair stand, we’ve compiled a little checklist of the things you should consider:
- First of all – does the stand have a solid base? This is an important factor because you really do need something solid and something that won’t wobble about unnecessarily while you struggle with a bolt or clamp.
- Does the stand have a removable work stand: this is definitely not mandatory, but good to have.
- Does the bike stand have a good locking mechanism so that you can quickly AND easily place your bike in the stand?
- How tough are those clamping jaws? Are they going to dig in deep to your bike and cause it some serious damage? Or are they soft enough to hold your bike firmly in place but still envelope it with a glove of silk
- Can it hold the weight of your bike? If you’ve got a particularly heavy and cumbersome bike, you’ll want to check that the stand can comfortably hold your bike in place.
- Does the stand have a good guarantee/warranty? Many bike stands and leading brands (such as Feedback or Park Tool) typically have a great warranty and no problems whatsoever if a problem arises, but if you’re buying a lesser known model/brand, you should double-check.
- Does the stand have a good name and reputation? It’s always a good idea to check online at stores such as Amazon for some good reviews and feedback for happy customers (or not so happy).
We’ll have to admit that in our testing, the common saying that you get what you pay for is certainly on the mark. The cheaper models out there aren’t often as strong and stable as the more well-known and yes, more expensive, models, so take that into consideration if you’re looking for a bike stand that will be around with you for some time.
Our own recommendation has to be the Park Tool PCS-10. It’s typically priced below $200, and in our view, firmly justifies its status as the bestselling bike repair stand on the market today. It also makes our Top 3 Bike Stand list, which you can read here.