Posts tagged introduction
If you’re looking to purchase one of the many bike repair stands (sometimes known as bike work stands) on the market today, my reviews of the best repair stands currently for sale out there on the web should answer any of your questions…
Personally, I wouldn’t have even looked at buying a bike stand until about two years ago, when my finances took a hit. Cutting costs drastically meant performing the repairs on my own, complete with my own bike repair kit and work stand. My cycling schedule – and bank balance – have never looked better!
I would heartily recommend purchasing a stand if you’re looking to cut repair costs and have the time and just a bit of bike repair knowledge. If you’re semi-serious about your biking and are often out on the road/in competition, a work stand is a MUST, at least in my opinion. The perfect solution for your bike and your pocket can be found in my reviews below.
My recently launched Buying Guide will certainly point you in the right direction, as it summarizes the main features, ratings and prices of the leading bike repair stands on the market today. It should be of great help for those of you confused at the sheer volume of stands out there. You might also want to check out our top tips for selecting the right repair stand for YOU, click here for some great tips!
NEW: I’d highly recommend checking out this article- these are the THREE best bike stands for 2017 I can heartily recommend!
If you’re a beginner but looking for quality, then the Feedback Sport Bike Repair Stand is a great option. Feedback is a great, well-trusted brand. Another great option is the bestselling Park Tool PCS-10 repair stand (currently on offer at 20% off on online stores like Amazon!).
We’ve also just added our bike repair video tips series, where we show you how to perform common bike repair tasks. And if you really want to go all the way with your bike repair, this great series of videos is a must-try!
Because, after all, we’re presuming (going out on a limb here 🙂 ) you’re after a repair stand that will do an outstanding job and yet prove amazing value for money, correct?
We have reviewed most of the leading models on the market today (see some of our reviews here), so have come across many factors that we often take into consideration when looking at what to buy / test.
To help YOU out when you’re choosing a bike repair stand, we’ve compiled a little checklist of the things you should consider:
- First of all – does the stand have a solid base? This is an important factor because you really do need something solid and something that won’t wobble about unnecessarily while you struggle with a bolt or clamp.
- Does the stand have a removable work stand: this is definitely not mandatory, but good to have.
- Does the bike stand have a good locking mechanism so that you can quickly AND easily place your bike in the stand?
- How tough are those clamping jaws? Are they going to dig in deep to your bike and cause it some serious damage? Or are they soft enough to hold your bike firmly in place but still envelope it with a glove of silk
- Can it hold the weight of your bike? If you’ve got a particularly heavy and cumbersome bike, you’ll want to check that the stand can comfortably hold your bike in place.
- Does the stand have a good guarantee/warranty? Many bike stands and leading brands (such as Feedback or Park Tool) typically have a great warranty and no problems whatsoever if a problem arises, but if you’re buying a lesser known model/brand, you should double-check.
- Does the stand have a good name and reputation? It’s always a good idea to check online at stores such as Amazon for some good reviews and feedback for happy customers (or not so happy).
We’ll have to admit that in our testing, the common saying that you get what you pay for is certainly on the mark. The cheaper models out there aren’t often as strong and stable as the more well-known and yes, more expensive, models, so take that into consideration if you’re looking for a bike stand that will be around with you for some time.
Our own recommendation has to be the Park Tool PCS-10. It’s typically priced below $200, and in our view, firmly justifies its status as the bestselling bike repair stand on the market today. It also makes our Top 3 Bike Stand list, which you can read here.